Pollokshields Heritage Listed Buildings

The Knowe by Alexander 'Greek' Thomson

301 ALBERT DRIVE

Alexander Thomson, in stages, begun circa 1852; built for John Blair, merchant, in what was then a rural setting.

Well-preserved Thomsonesque villa with Romanesque detailing and tower, 1/2 storeys, broad-eaved shallow- pitched gabled (slated) roofs of various levels, round-arched openings with rusticated arches, shafted mullions.

Complex plan, original part roughly L-shaped with open porch; more than doubled in size by (lower) additions (1855-8) to W and to N and extending E entrance front. Snecked stone-cleaned yellow rubble and ashlar dressings; mainly sash windows (original glazing); stacks mostly with Thomsonesque chimney cans. Tower is a storey higher, square lights below eaves, elaborate metal roof finial. Interior ornament also survives mainly intact. Billiards room added to W circa 1880.

Gabled single storey and attic T-plan LODGE, of 1852-6 is similarly detailed, 3 arcaded gable-head lights, above porch, face Albert Drive; distinctive gatepiers with ornate original timber gates;

BOUNDARY WALLS to S (Aytoun Road) and to E (Shields Road) were rebuilt circa 1873, to enclose a greater area; fireclay balustrade at S, and distinctive wide gateway.

References:
MacFadzean, 1979, p.32ff (including plans etc); Glasgow at a Glance.

The Knowe 1

The Knowe 2

The Lodge House