Pollokshields Heritage  Heritage Trail Two
John Gordon (1835-1912)

Responsible for Milverton, Clifton Hall, 9-11 Hamilton Avenue, The Moss (with Thomas Baird), Carslogie, and the Miller & Lang Building.

John Gordon was born in Paisley in 1835 and became an apprentice to Black and Salmon in 1853. When the partnership of Black and Salmon was dissolved on 29th May 1854 he elected to remain with James Salmon as his principal assistant. He set up in private practice 1857 when his work was predominately industrial and strongly influenced by Alexander Thomson as can be seen by his commercial buildings in West Nile Street, Renfield Street and for Francis Spite & Co, at 28-32 St Enoch Square.

In 1876 Thomas Baird became his apprentice and latterly his assistant from 1881 till 1887 when it is suggested that Baird became his partner although his name was never included in the title of the practice. It is very likely that Thomas Baird was the architect for the Horseshoe Bar for publican John Scouller of the Moss (see Trail 1). He left the practice around the same time as Gordon’s son John Graham Gordon, who became a partner in 1903. John Graham Gordon was joined by David Woodburn Sturrock and the practice became Gordon, Son and Sturrock. Later in 1903 talented art nouveau designer David Bennett Dobson, who had been with the practice since c1894, was taken into partnership. David Woodburn Sturrock left shortly after this and the practice became Gordon, Son and Bennett Dobson. In 1907 David Bennett Dobson left to set up in private practice and Thomas Baird Gordon joined soon after and it became known as John Gordon and Son. John Gordon closed the practice in 1911 and died age 77 at Gordonholme, Giffnock on 22nd August 1912.