Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 

Henry Edward Clifford (1852-1932) 

17-57 Fotheringay RoadBurgh Surveyor for Pollokshields and responsible for The Burgh Hall, Seven Oaks, Guiltreehill, Cairn O’ Mount, Somersby, tenements at 17-57 Fotheringay Road, 733-745 Shields Road and 44-88 Terregles Road, and Clydesdale Cricket Club Pavilion.

Henry Edward Clifford was born at North Naparama in Trinidad where the Clifford family had settled soon after its colonization by Britain in 1797. Following his father’s death in 1859 his mother left Trinidad and brought the family to Glasgow.

He spent ten years from 1867 with John Burnet Senior first as apprentice and then draughtsman before leaving to set up his own practice in 1878. Between 1878 and 1880 he studied at Glasgow School of Art where in 1879 he won the Queen’s Prize and Haldane Prize and where he also taught. From 1885 till 1887 he was in partnership with John Burnet’s nephew William Landless and thereafter practised on his own. In 1901 he won the competition to design the new Glasgow Royal Infirmary but the commission was awarded to James Miller. In 1904-05 his design for Stoneleigh in Cleveden Drive, Kelvinside featured in Hermann Muthesius’s Das Englische Haus, introducing him to a wider European audience. Clifford died age 80 on 15th October 1932 at Reigate, Surrey.