Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 
Hugh & David Barclay (1828-1892, 1840 - 1917)

 

Responsible for Meville Street Primary School and Pollokshields Primary School, formerly Albert Road Academy.

H & D Barclay worked extensively for various school boards around the city, but also designed tenements, warehouses, private residences, churches and cinemas. They had a close relationship with Alexander Thomson and David Barclay wrote a memoir of him in 1904. In 1871 Hugh took his younger brother David into partnership. Their first joint commission was the Italian Romanesque United Presbyterian Church, Duke Street, Glasgow(1872) which was followed by Kilmun Convalescent Home (1873) and the Albany Academy in Ashley Street, Woodlands (1875) which established their reputation for educational buildings. This led them to become the architects of choice for school buildings such as Pollokshields (1879 and 1882), Abbotsford Place (1879 and 1893), Polmadie (1880), Govan (1883), Hillhead (1884) and Mount Florida (1895) followed with the most impressive of all Glasgow Academy (1878).