Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail TwoTHE DEVELOPERS  
John Anderson JP (1878-1963)

RhuadsgeirResponsible for Beneffrey House.

John Anderson was born on 8th May 1878 in Glasgow, the son of Peter Anderson JP, co-founder of the construction company P & W Anderson. He was educated at Allan Glens School and Glasgow University and then joined the family business becoming a director. The company expanded rapidly through a number of contracts for important buildings in Glasgow such as the Central Station Hotel (1877), Central Station extension (1899), Royal and West of Scotland Technical College (c1901), the Mitchell Library (1906), the Glasgow Corn Exchange (after 1895) and the Glasgow Herald Building (c1893). His personal involvement secured the company many lucrative Government contracts during the First World War including construction of the £4 million munitions factory at Gretna, the largest munitions factory in the World, essential for the supply of cordite to the front and which arguably assisted in determining the course of the War.

In 1917 the number of men employed by the company was 15,000 many of whom were recruited for military service with the Royal Engineers. His services to the war effort were recognised in 1920 with the award of a Knighthood in the King’s Birthday Honours and he was created a Justice of the Peace for Glasgow in 1921. He succeeded to the chairmanship of the company on the death of his father in 1922 but couldn’t maintain the company’s earlier expansion and they went into liquidation in 1925. His life after business was taken up with writing and lecturing on the philosophy of thought. He was twice married first to Janet Barr (d 1940) and then to Muriel Stanley-Wiggins (d 1953). He died at Shoreham-by-sea on 11th April 1963.