Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 
31 Albert Cross "B" listed

Albert Cross

The cross marks the commercial centre of the Victorian Burgh of East Pollokshields. Three of the buildings celebrate the cross with turreted corner bays, conical roofs, and giant orders. Although of similar appearance they are in fact subtly different though likely by the same hand - unusual for a Glasgow cross. These fine tenements were designed to have essential shopping services on the ground floor. The south-easterly corner, 193 Albert Drive, was feued in 1876, with the south-westerly corner, 199 Albert Drive following in 1880, by architect and developer William Mair. The third corner, north-easterly, 198-188 Albert Drive, was designed by architects Peat and Duncan in 1884. At this point Albert Drive became the most prestigious shopping area in the district, with merchants vying with each other to occupy the spacious new premises.