Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 
19 Former Pollokshields West Church "B" listed
620 Shields Road

Pollokshields West Church 

Built between 1875-9, by architect W G Rowan of McKissack & Rowan, in the congregation’s choice of style. The tower, modelled on William Stark’s St George’s Tron but with Thomsonesque details, is a prominent southside landmark. Ionic-columned porticos raised above the podium are another Thomson device. The entrance is franked by heavy Doric columns. The high-quality stone carving is evident in details like the acanthus. The interior was re-modelled in 1923 and then included stained glass by both Alf Webster, one of Scotland’s finest stained glass artists who died tragically young in the First World War, and Nina Millar Davidson. Now used as a nursing home.