Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 
13 Tenements and Shops "B" Listed
116-170 Nithsdale Road

Kelmscot 

Tiles in fishmongersHandsome range of neoclassical tenements with architraved first floor widows, erected during the 1870s. Generously bowed eastern corner sweeps magnificently into Kenmure Street. Locally known as Kitchin’s Corner - originally planned to include a shopping arcade. All of the ground floor flats were converted into shops by architect Thomas Baird in 1883, leaving a wide pavement area. The interior of the former fishmongers at 126 Nithsdale Road features a continuous tiled frieze depicting sailing ships and frolicking mermaids, being the finest example of work done by James Duncan & Sons in Glasgow. The famous ‘Fish Girl’ panel that originally decorated the shop’s entrance is now in the People’s Palace.