Pollokshields Heritage Heritage Trail Two 

4 Hutchesons’ Grammar School
21 Beaton Road

Founded in 1641 by brothers George and Thomas Hutcheson the school was originally located in the Merchant City, moved to a new building at 211 Crown Street, Gorbals, where it remained until 1960 but moved to its present site as a result of the Gorbals clearances. The current main building was designed by Boswell, Mitchell & Johnson and built between 1957 and 1960. In 1891 the Girls’ school changed its name to the Hutchesons' Girls’ Grammar School and amalgamated with the Boys' School in 1976 to become the Hutchesons’ Grammar School, with the girls’ school building in Kingarth Street becoming the new mixed primary school.