Pollokshields Heritage History

Dr Robert Pollok MB, CM, FFP, SG (1856 - 1909)

Dr Robert PollokLived at Laurieston House, 516 Shields Road

Dr Pollok was a founding member of the Southern Medical Club and president of the Southern Medical Society.

In 1888 he joined the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Highland Light Infantry (The Blythswood Rifles) as surgeon-lieutenant and in 1891 was promoted to surgeon-captain.

In 1900 he volunteered for active service and was sent to South Africa charged with looking after troops in transport before moving onto Woodstock Hospital, Cape Town and then Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State. He was posted to the Field Hospital of the 18th Brigade in Lord Robert’s army as they advanced on Pretoria and Komati Poort.

For his services he was awarded the Queen’s Medal with three clasps and the rank of honorary Captain in the army. When the volunteer battalions were re-organised into the Territorial Army in 1908 he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the 4th Scottish Territorial General Hospital. He died at his home Laurieston House on 11th February 1909 aged 55.

Extrat from The London Gazett, Aug 11, 1908, page 5906:

"4th Scottish General Hospital; Supernumerary Surgeon-Major (Honorary Captain ir1 the Army) Robert Pollok, M.B. (Brigade Surgeon-Lieutenant-Colonel, Senior Medical Officer, Highland Light Infantry, Volunteer Infantry Brigade), from the 3rd (The Blythswood) Volunteer Battalion, The Highland Light Infantry), to be Lieutenant-Colonel • Dated lst April, 1908."