Pollokshields Heritage History

James Grieve F.S.A.Scot., (1863-1939)

Lived at 54 Terregles AvenueJames Weir

James Grieve was born in East Calder in Kirknewton Parish, Midlothian and began his career as an apprentice to Alexander Dickson of Peebles. He became Clerk of Works in Edinburgh in 1899 and was best known for undertaking work for notable Scottish arts and crafts architect Sir Robert Lorimer (1864-1929). His first known project was at Manderston House, Duns c1902-05 for John Kinross (1855-1931) and in 1906 he began working for Sir Robert Lorimer at Ardkinglas House, Argyll and subsequently at Monzie in Perthshire. In 1909-11 he worked on the construction of the Thistle Chapel at St Giles in Edinburgh and in 1911 at Dunderave Castle in Argyll and Dunrobin Castle, Sutherland again for Sir Robert Lorimer.

In 1912 he restored Castle Grant for the Earl of Seafield (1876-1915) and Cullen House in 1913. At some point between 1912 and 1924 he became a partner in James Grant & Co., wrights and builders, 128 Pitt Street, Glasgow and by the time of his death in 1939 was the sole partner of the firm now located at Holland Street, Glasgow. James Grieve was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and in 1927 and 1929 he restored St Llolan’s and St Mungo’s Cells at Broughton, Peebleshire. In 1932 on the centenary of Sir Walter Scott’s death he was commissioned by the Burgh of Peebles to design and build the George Meikle Kemp (1795-1844) Memorial at Redscaur-head. James Grieve was an avid collector of fine furniture, oil paintings, ceramics and enamels and he owned a considerable library of architectural and archaeological books. He was an elder of Pollokshields Parish Church and paid for most of the cost of alterations to the church.