Pollokshields Heritage  

The St. Ninian’s Remembrance Project

Almost a century has passed since the start of the First World War. Its repercussions are still being felt; yet with the passing of the last few veterans, there is a sense that we are losing the last direct connection with this epoch-making conflict. This Remembrance project began as an attempt to see the War Memorial at St. Ninian’s as more than just a list of names, to try to discover something of the lives, the families, and the war experiences they represent.

What emerges is a fascinating, if tantalisingly incomplete picture of the community of St. Ninian’s at that time. Many people lived locally, in Pollokshields; some lived in large villas in Langside, others in Gorbals tenements. There were shipyard workers and landed gentry, organ makers, insurance clerks, bakers and postal workers. By cross-referencing the census records and valuation rolls with St. Ninian’s confirmation records we were able to confirm the identities of brothers or other family members. Medal Rolls, along with a small number of military records give us a picture of an extraordinary range of War experiences. We find the men of St. Ninian’s in the stinking trenches of the Western Front, from Ypres to the Somme, from the first to the last weeks of the war. Several were involved in the disaster of Gallipoli; others served in Italy, North Africa and the Middle East. There were cavalry officers, Royal Engineers, gunners, pilots, drivers, cyclists and postal workers; some, considered too old or unfit for combat, served in the labour corps, while one, a conscientious objector, was conscripted into the Non-Combatant Corps.

Because of the sheer numbers of dead in the First World War, no attempt was made to return the bodies home to their families, which remained, in the words of Rupert Brooke, “in some corner of a foreign field”. Many were reburied with dignified headstones in official war cemeteries. There are St. Ninian’s First World War dead in France, Flanders, Greece and even in Iraq; only one is buried in Glasgow. Some
were never found. With no possibility of a funeral, and no grave to visit, many communities back home commissioned their own War Memorials, which served as a focus for remembrance, and a collective expression of grief.

Yet the St. Ninian’s War Memorial lists not only the dead but also those who served in the war and returned. This is significant, for it suggests that for an entire generation of young men the First World War marked a watershed in their lives, that they too had made a sacrifice– that their lives, and that of the entire community, would never be the same again.

They left their jobs, their homes and their families, some in search of adventure, some in a wave of patriotic fervour, some conscripted against their will, but all thrown into the unfamiliar and often nightmarish hell that was the “Great War”. Some suffered injury and illness; many must have been left with a legacy of trauma from the things they had witnessed or had to do. Everyone at St. Ninian’s would have experienced the loss of friends or family. At least one vestry member and one choirboy were killed. For those who remained at home, especially wives and mothers plagued by fear and worry, the church community would have been a vital support. On occasion it even gave them the chance to “do their bit”: in 1916 the vestry gave permission for the hall and vestry rooms to be used to “entertain wounded soldiers”, and requested “donations for cakes, fruits and tobacco”.

There are 153 names listed on the memorial as having served in the First World War; fifteen are marked “killed in action or died in service”. As on the memorial these names have been marked with a red ‘X’. Unfortunately we have not yet been able to find any information about the six men who were killed in the Second World War, whose names were added later on a smaller plaque; so this book concentrates solely
on those who served in the First War.

Richard Whincop and Valerie Rodgers 2009

St Ninian's Plaque 1 St Ninian's Plaque 2
JOHN ALEXANDER

A John Neil Alexander of Craigie Street was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1921, at the age of 16 – too young to have fought in the War, but it could well be the son of the John Alexander on the War Memorial. Military records survive for several men of the same name on the south side of Glasgow, but we cannot be certain which, if any was the one on our memorial.

EGBERT ALLIN
A 16-year old Frederick Allin, probably Egbert’s brother, was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1909. There is a medal roll for an Egbert Allin, who began serving in the Royal Field Artillery in France on May 4th 1915. As it is quite an unusual name this might very well be
the one from St. Ninian’s. It could also be the same Egbert Allin whose marriage is recorded in Haslingden, Lancashire in 1919.

THOMAS BEATTIE ANDERSON (Born 1895)
Britain declared War on Germany on 6th August 1914, and the British Expeditionary Force (B.E.F.) landed in France on the 14th. Thomas Anderson, a Clerk residing at 55, Cartvale Road, Langside, enlisted with the Royal Army Medical Corps in Glasgow on 12th September 1914. He went on to serve with the 1/1st Lowland Field Ambulance, a front line medical unit attached to the 52nd (Lowland) Division. He was despatched to Gallipoli in June 1915, and to Egypt the following year, where on 16th September 1916 he was awarded a good conduct badge. In the last year of the War he was sent to join the B.E.F. in France. At the beginning of the war most people expected it to last a few weeks. Thomas was finally demobilised in March 1920, five and a half years after he first volunteered.

REGINALD ARUNDEL (Born 1899)
Born in Almondsbury, Huddersfield Yorkshire, Reginald’s father Herbert was a Chemist. By 1917 the family were living at 37, Holmhead Road, Cathcart. Reginald enlisted in October 1916 in the 2/4th Royal Scots Fusiliers, but was compulsorily transferred to the
Army Medical Corps due to his being a Haemophiliac, and was then posted to Blackpool, presumably to work in a Military Hospital. After the War he volunteered to continue serving at Beckenham Hospital in London.

ALBERT EDWARD AUDSLEY
The 1901 census records a Frederick J. Audsley, a brewery traveller living at 39, Caird Drive in the West End, and a man by the same name was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1918. This could have been Albert’s father, but unfortunately we have no certain information about Albert himself. An Albert Audsley is recorded as serving in the Coldstream Guards and the Royal Engineers.

ARTHUR EDWIN BAILEY (Born c.1899)
Arthur Bailey came from Shropshire, and lived at 15, Princes Street, Pollokshields. He was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1916 and had a sister called Edith E. Bailey. He was quite possibly the Arthur Edwin Bailey who was awarded a Meritorious Service Medal whilst serving in France with the Army Service Corps (Regimental No. M2/082422), attached to the 31st Motor Ambulance Convoy. This medal was awarded for gallantry, saving or attempting to save life, or devotion to duty.

FRANCIS DORWIN BAYLEY
(Born c.1882)
Francis Bayley was a Share Broker’s Clerk; he lived with his mother Isobel and his brother Ralph (confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1905) at 18, Queen’s Drive, Crosshill. He served with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

JOHN ALFRED BEST (Born c.1901)
John Best lived at 11, Kilmarnock Road, and was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1915. His military record does not seem to have survived.

JOHN AINSLEY BLACK
John Black lived at Prince’s Street, Pollokshields (now McCulloch Street) and was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1897.

CECIL M. BOND (Born c.1897)
FREDERICK G. BOND (Born c.1900?)
THOMAS F. BOND (Born c.1895)
The Bond family were a prominent family at St. Ninian’s; the father Frederick G. Bond (born c.1859) and his wife Mary lived in 30, Sturrock Street, Kilmarnock before moving to Glasgow. Their four daughters Daisy, Winifred, Violet and Margaret all became spinsters; Violet later taught in the Sunday School at St. Ninian’s. Their brothers Thomas and Cecil both served in the First World War. Their father was a professional soldier, a Sergeant Major in the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. He would have been 55 at the outbreak of the War, at which time the upper age limit for conscription was 41, so the Frederick G. Bond on the war memorial could be another son. An unchristened baby listed on the 1901 census might perhaps be Frederick junior.

WILLIAM S. BOWDEN (c.1883-1917) X
William Bowden was a Slater’s Apprentice. In 1901 he was living with his parents Joseph (a printer compositor) and Agnes at 35, Warwick Street, in Gorbals; they later moved to 81, Abbotsford Place at Eglinton Toll. William became a Private in the 14th King's Hussars, a cavalry regiment that took part in operations against Turkish forces in the First World War. In 1915 it was involved in action at Tubal, and in March 1917 in the taking of Baghdad after which the chief Turkish stronghold at Ramadi on the Euphrates was taken. After Ramadi the Regiment became involved in reconnaissance and patrolling duties until 1918 when they were attached to a column that operated inside Persia. William Bowden was killed on 31st August 1917, and is buried in Baghdad North Gate War Cemetery.

JOHN BRADFORD
John Bradford married Mary M. Douglas at St. Ninian’s in 1928; they lived at 180, Alberford(?) Road.

JOSEPH M. BROOK (Born c.1884)
Joseph Brook is very likely the one listed on the 1901 census living at 122 Stanmore Road, Hampden, the son & apprentice of Joseph Brook, an organ builder. His mother’s name was Sarah. Joseph Brook and Co. was a prominent firm of organ builders who built organs for many churches throughout Scotland, perhaps even the original one at St. Ninian’s. St. Kiaran’s Episcopal Church in Campbeltown still has an original Joseph Brook pipe organ.

CHARLES BUNTEN (Born c. 1869?)
The 1901 census lists only two Charles Buntens in Scotland; the one on the St. Ninian’s memorial is very likely the one living at Minard Road, Crossmyloof, a traveller and dealer in foreign stamps. By 1914 he had moved to 357, Pollokshaws Road. A Charles S. A. Bunten served in the Army Service Corps (Regimental number: DM2/169520), which may well be the one listed on the St. Ninian’s memorial.

WILLIAM CALDWELL (Born c.1886)
JOHN THOMAS CALDWELL (Born c.1889)
RICHARD ALEXANDER CALDWELL (Born c. 1899)
William Caldwell Senior was a Tailor, in 1901 living with his wife Williamina at 22, Broompark Drive, Dennistoun. They had a daughter, Mary, and their sons William, John and Richard all served in the First World War. The 1901 census lists William’s occupation as a ‘warehouse boy’. Richard was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1916, when he was 17, by which time the family were living at 24, Queen Mary Avenue, Crosshill. For some reason William and John Caldwell are not listed alphabetically on the memorial.

DAVID WESLEY THOMSON CARMICHAEL (Born c.1892)
Baptised in West Ludlow, David Carmichael was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1908, at the age of 15. He probably lived with his mother, a housekeeper in the house of an Isabella Duncan at 405, Sauchiehall Street. He became an apprentice engineer, and by 1912 was living at 58, Queens Drive. He enlisted in the 7th Battalion Scottish Rifles in 1912 but was discharged in January 1915, having been declared ‘medically unfit for further service’, apparently suffering from adhesions following an operation to have his appendix removed.

GEORGE L. CARR (Born c.1889)
George L. Carr is listed in the 1901 census at 100, Stevenson Drive, Eastwood. His parents Georgina and Abram, were English; Abram was a draper’s assistant. George’s brother Gordon Carr was married at St. Ninian’s in 1919, and lived at 47, Durward Avenue, Crossmyloof.

RICHARD JOHN CATLIN (Born c. 1889)
Richard Catlin, the son of Alice and Thomas Catlin (a hosier’s assistant) lived at 9, Albert Road, Crosshill, and later at Algie Street, Battlefield. He was born in England, was baptised in Jedburgh and was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1906; his brother William Catlin was baptised here in 1910 at the age of 17. There is a medal roll for a Richard J. Catlin (Reg. No. 1422, 955243) who served in France in the Royal Field Artillery, but we cannot be sure this is the same one.

GEORGE W. CHRISTIE (Born c.1899?)
The only Scottish George W. Christie in the 1901 census was born c.1899, son of Mary & Allardyce Christie (a Railway porter) and lived at 150 Caledonia Road, in Gorbals.

FREDERICK LESLIE COOPER (Born c.1895)
In 1901 Frederick Cooper lived at 22, Scotia Street in the West End; he was baptised in Maryhill and confirmed in 1912 at St. Ninian’s at the age of 17; his sisters Dorothy and Winifred were confirmed here in 1908. His father Fred was a Foreman Cable Jointer, perhaps in the shipyards.

ERNEST GOODALL COPESTAKE (Born c.1883)
HENRY GOODALL COPESTAKE (Born c.1881)
THOMAS GOODALL COPESTAKE (Born c.1879)
These brothers were sons of Samson & Marion Goodall Copestake, a prominent family at St. Ninian’s who in 1901 resided at 40, Queen Mary Avenue, Crosshill. Their father was a Locomotive Engineer, and Ernest followed in his footsteps to become a Locomotive
Apprentice. Henry was an Apprentice Civil Engineer, later a Captain serving in the Balkans with the 7th Scottish Rifles; he was married at St. Ninian’s in 1914 and lived at Springhill, Crossgate. Thomas was a medical student. There were also two sisters, Elizabeth and Marion, and another brother, John, who is not mentioned on the War Memorial.

JOHN RICHARD CRUICKSHANK (c.1887-1918) X
The 1891 census lists John’s parents Richard D. and Eliza D. Cruickshank as living at 163, East Prince’s Street, Helensburgh. Eliza is recorded as “Ten Plunter wife”; this presumably means she was the wife of a tea planter. Richard D. may have owned a tea plantation in India, hence his absence from the census. There is no record of the family in the 1901 census; perhaps they were away staying at the plantation. John married Daisy Tyson Cruickshank, and they lived in Glasgow at 184, Battlefield Road, Langside. He fought on the Western Front with the 1st/6th (Banff and Donside) Battalion Gordon Highlanders; he was killed on 23 July 1918 and was buried in Marfaux British Cemetery.

CLIFFORD DOUGLAS CUNNINGHAM (Born c.1896)

J. PAUL CUNNINGHAM (Born c.1892)
In 1901 the Cunninghams lived at 35, Greenfield Street, Govan. James Cunningham, the father, was an accountant; his wife’s name was Rosina. Their sons were both confirmed at St. Ninian’s; Clifford became a Commercial traveller, and was married here in 1918. His elder brother J. Paul Cunningham was a driver by trade who enlisted with the Army Service Corps in the Motorised Transport section. He served in France, becoming a Lance Corporal; his Military Record describes him as “intelligent, sober and reliable.”

ARTHUR LESLIE DARE
All we know about Arthur is that one of his relations, George Dare married at St. Ninian’s.

CHARLES D. DEAS (Born c.1886)
Born in Glasgow, in 1901 Charles D. Deas was staying at ‘Burnside House’ in Dollar, the residency for staff and a few boarders at Dollar Academy. He presumably then moved to Glasgow as he was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1904 when he was 18.

EDWARD LESLIE DELLAR (Born c.1900)
THOMAS BUTLER DELLAR (Born c.1895)
The Dellar Brothers lived at 11, Leslie Street, Pollokshields; perhaps Edward Leslie was named after the street he lived in! Their father Thomas was from London and was a Shop Fittings Salesman. The family then moved to at a flat in the adjoining Forth Street, where Edward is listed on the St. Ninian’s confirmation roll in 1915, aged 15. He served with the Royal Scots Fusiliers (Regimental No. 53107). Thomas (Reg. No.16461) was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1908; from 1915 he fought in France with the Scots Guards. His regiment fought at many of the major battles on the Western Front, including the Somme.

WILLIAM DENVER (Born c.1895?)
William Denver is probably the son of the William Denver, a ‘Grocer’s Vanman’ from Ireland, who lived with his wife Mary Jane at 15, Crossmyloof Buildings. He seems to have served with the Royal Scots Rifles (Reg. No. 1/4539).

A.J. DUDLEY
We have not been able to find any information about A.J. Dudley.

PHILIPPE René DURAND (Born c.1878?)
A Philippe Durand of 88, Holmlea Road, Cathcart, was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1919. However, he was then 16, so unless he considerably exaggerated his age he would have been too young to fight in the War. It seems more likely that the memorial refers to his father, with the same name, and this was probably the Corporal Phillippe Durand listed at Maryhill Barracks in the 1901 census. He was from Hampshire, and his wife Catherine from Essex, so it is likely that they would have been Anglicans. Though he was a professional soldier, his military record does not seem to have survived.

JOHN WILLIAM EDGCOMBE (Born c.1891)
John Edgecombe was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1908 when he was 17.

FRANK HERBERT FEARBY (Born c.1893)
JOHN EARNEST FEARBY (Born c.1891)
SYDNEY ALLAN FEARBY (Born c. 1895)
The 1901 census records the Fearby’s living at 159, Kilmarnock Road; Frank Fearby Senior was an English bank teller; his wife Jane was from Edinburgh. Their oldest son John Earnest was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1906. By the time Frank Fearby Junior and his brother Sydney were confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1914, the family had moved to 2, Beechwood Terrace, Shawlands.

All three brothers fought in France in the First World War. From 1916 Frank served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, while Sidney was a Lieutenant, then an acting Captain with the South Wales Borderers in France.

John’s medal roll records him living at 34 Afton Street, Langside, and shows that he initially served in France with the 17th Highland Light Infantry and then received a commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Scots.

H.C. FIRRWIRTH (Born c. 1897)
Henry George(?) Firrwirth (also spelt ‘Ferrwirth’) lived at 195, Eglinton Street; he was confirmed at Ninian’s in 1912, his sister Mary Maxwell in 1915. A Harry G. Ferrwirth, Hardware merchant is recorded at this address; this could be him or his father.

THOMAS H. FIELDING
The only record of Thomas Fielding is his marriage to Paro Rodriguez Vendrake(?) at St. Ninian’s in 1924; they lived at 2, Melrose Gardens in the West End.

ALBERT ERNEST FORD
One of Albert’s relatives, Olga Ford was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1916, and lived at Victoria Infirmary Lodge. There are numerous Medal Rolls with the name Albert E. Ford.

B.F. FRAMPTON
We have not been able to find any information about B.F. Frampton.

WILLIAM FULTON (Born c.1888?)
William Fulton was a civil engineer, who lived at 148, Kenmure Street, Glasgow. He was called up in 1916, enlisted with the 3rd Battalion Scottish Rifles and was then transferred to the Royal Engineers Inland waterways/water transport section. There he worked as a Sapper, his work including classified operations and in 1918 a turn of duty in Italy. Ironically he ended the war in Stobhill hospital suffering from Dysentery, which was widespread in the trenches due to poor sanitation and infected water supplies.

RONALD GIDDY (Born c.1886)
In 1891 Ronald’s family were living at 15, Leslie Street. His father was a commercial clerk, but ten years later there is no sign of him; by 1901 the remainder of the family had moved in with Ronald’s Aunt Elizabeth, a dressmaker, in 175, Kenmure Street, Pollokshields. Ronald’s sister Frances was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1904. His military record has not survived.

JOHN GRAHAM (Born c.1901)
A 20-year old John Graham residing at 357, Pollokshaws Road was confirmed at St. Ninian’s after the War in 1921. Unless he lied about his age he would have been too young to have fought in the War, in which case the name on the memorial is either his father or someone else with the same name.

WILLIAM HALL (Born c.1890)
William Hall lived at 74, Darnley Street, Pollokshields, and was son of Mary and Robert Hall (a ‘sawer’); his sisters were Annie and Elizabeth, a ‘fancy box maker’. William was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1908 and married here in 1923.

F.C. HARVEY (Born c.1882?)
The 1901 census lists a shipping clerk called Francis C. Harvie at 4, Blackie Street, Kelvinhaugh, son of James (a Locomotive Engine fitter) & Elizabeth Harvie.

FREDERICK HENDRIE (Born c.1876)
Frederick and Jane Hendrie (confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1895) are listed at 92, Queens Drive, Crosshill in 1901, the children of David Hendrie, a retired draper.

Frederick was a Sorting Clerk at a Post Office, perhaps the one in Victoria Road, which was certainly there at that time. At the outbreak of war in 1914 he had moved to 35, Prince Albert Street, Crosshill. At 40 he was at the upper limit for military service, but in December 1914 joined as a ‘Sapper’ in the Royal Engineers’ Postal section. His military record cites him as an “Excellent Postal Officer” with grey eyes and fair hair. In October 1916 he was despatched to Alexandria for a series of stints as a postal worker in Egypt, and was promoted to Corporal in 1917. By the time he returned from duty in he was 45.

SIMON HODGERT (Born c.1876)
The 1891 census lists a Simon Hodgert, message boy, the son of John (a moulder) at 4, Northburn Street, Milton. There is also a Medal Roll for a Simon Hodgert, who was in the Army Medical Corps, but there is no way of knowing whether this is the same one or if either was the Simon Hodgert at St. Ninian’s.

GEORGE FERGUSON HOLMES (Born c.1886)
ISLAY HOLMES (Born c.1888)
WILLIAM HENRY HOLMES (2nd June 1882-15th December 1917) X
The 1901 census lists the Holmes family at 174, Calder Street, with Agnes as the head of the family, described as “living on her own means”. She was originally from Glasgow, but her seven children were born in Bowmore on the island of Islay. Bowmore is the home of a famous single malt whisky, and it may be no coincidence that her son John was a “spirit salesman”. Of the three of her sons listed on the St. Ninian’s memorial, in 1901 George was a Law Clerk, William (confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1904) a “clerk in bonded stone”, while Islay (confirmed in 1906) was still at school (the census lists his name as “Hay” Holmes, the scribe not perhaps realising that he was named after his place of birth).

By 1915 the family had moved to 86, Dundrennan Road, Langside. By this time George had become a Newspaper reporter and signed up as a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery (R.G.A.), serving with them in France. His Military Record shows that he was the victim of a gas attack and was registered at a hospital in Rouen. In 1919 he was discharged with a pension of 12/-(to be reviewed after 12 months) suffering from Gas Poisoning and Pneumonia, his degree of disablement declared to be “30%”.

William was a vestry member at St. Ninian’s, who became Second Lieutenant in the Seaforth Highlanders. He was killed in action at Gouzeaucourt in France, where he was buried.

GEORGE HOPE
VERNON HOPE

A Grace Hope was baptised at St. Ninian’s in 1916, and lived at 141, Coplaw Street; in the Valuation Rolls of 1913-14 George Hope is listed as a publisher at the same address. Grace was perhaps his daughter. There is a medal roll for a George Hope who served in the Queens Own Regiment, the Glasgow Yeomanry (Reg. No. 95363); but it is quite a common name so this might not be him.
There seem to be no records relating to Vernon Hope.

ALAN HULLEY X
All that we know for certain about Alan Hulley is that he was killed during the First World War. A George Alan W. Hulley is listed in the 1901 English census. He was born in Liverpool in 1898, and records show that he was killed in 1917 whilst serving in the King's Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry). However, his residence is listed as Durham so there is nothing to connect him with Glasgow or St. Ninian’s.

ALEXANDER OVINGTON HUNTER (Born 13 Feb 1886, Died 12 Feb 1969)
THOMAS BRYAN HUNTER (Born c.1899)
The 1901 census shows the Hunter family living at “Cleveland”, Riverside Road, Langside. Jane was from England, and is listed as “wife”; although there is no listing for the husband, we know from Thomas’s military record that his name was Peter, and that by 1915 the family had moved to 34, Riverside Road, Newlands. Alexander was baptised in Middlesbrough (hence the naming of their house) and Thomas at St. Ninian’s, so the family must have moved to Glasgow in the late 1880’s. Alexander was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1903, and Thomas in 1908.

Thomas was a Stationer, and enlisted as a volunteer in 1915, serving as a gunner in France with the 159th gun Brigade, 5th Army, Glasgow Royal Field Artillery (Reg.no.L6831).

Alexander Ovington Hunter was born on 13 Feb 1886 at 61 Kenmure Street, Pollkshields East. In 1915 he was a shipping clerk in Glasgow, when he married Edith Fearby at St Ninian, Glasgow (5 Sep 1915). They emigrated to South Africa / Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) in 1925 and worked on the copperbelt, being based mainly in Kitwe. They had three children. Edith died in Kitwe on 6 April 1966, and Alexander died in Scottburgh, Natal, S. Africa on 12 Feb 1969. They are both buried in Kitwe. Iinformation supplied by Colin Jermy, Durban, S. Africa. Alexander was his wife's grandfather.)

JOHN GRAHAM HUTCHISON (Born c.1876)
MICHAEL BALFOUR SCOTT HUTCHISON (Born 1873)
STEWART HUTCHISON
Michael B. Hutchison was the first Rector of St. Ninian’s. His son Michael was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1893, and John in 1894, at which time they were living at the Rectory at 32, Glencairn Drive. By 1901 John was still there but Michael had moved out. None of the records mention Stewart Hutchison, but Margaret’s maiden name was Stewart, and there was also a son James Stewart who died aged 4 in 1874 (remembered on a memorial plaque in the church). The Stewart Hutchison on the memorial may be a relation, a son who was at boarding school, or a child of John born shortly after 1901, just old enough to serve in the latter part of the War.

By 1901 John was an Insurance agent. There are several medal rolls with the name John Hutcheson, but a particularly intriguing one is a civilian who served with the “Scottish Churches Huts” in France, presumably providing makeshift places of worship for the front line troops. As a Rector’s son John would have been an ideal candidate for this role.

Michael was an Accountant and House Factor. He married a woman called Lillias Fisher and they lived in Mansfield Place, Paisley. He would have been 40 at the outbreak of War, considered the upper age limit for military service, but he actually enlisted in April 1918 at the age of 44 when the shortage of men was becoming most acute. He served initially for a short time in the Cyclists Company, then in the Royal Scots, and then from August in the Royal Army Service Corps (R.A.S.C.) until early 1919, when he was invalided back to England. In January 1919 he was at Fort Pitt Military Hospital Chatham, Kent, recovering from contusions in the right knee. By this time his address is listed as 15, Ledard Road, Langside; his children are listed as George Fisher (b.1903) and John Robert (b.1908).

MARK C. IRELAND (Born c.1895)
REGINALD PEARSE IRELAND (Born c.1898) X
The Ireland brothers were born in Swindon, Wiltshire, the sons of Mary and Mark Frederick Ireland (a gas fitter). The family are listed in Swindon in the 1901 census but later moved to 51, Inglefield Street, Govanhill, presumably to live near their relatives Thomas and Mary Ireland who lived at number 48. Reginald fought with the 10th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's Regiment). He was killed in action on 2nd October 1918, a few weeks before the end of the War, and was buried at Bellicourt British Cemetery in France.

What appears to be Mark’s medal roll shows that he was a driver with the 38th Brigade Royal Field Artillery (Reg. No: 74305).

WILLIAM BLAIR LOGAN (Born c.1895)
William Blair Logan was the son of Margaret and John Logan (a plumber), living at 28, Maxwell Road, Pollokshields in 1901. By the time he joined the army in 1915 he was an Insurance Agent living at 4, Leven Street, Pollokshields.

He enlisted with the Army Service Corps in March 1915, and set out for Le Havre from Southampton on 9th September 1915, going on to serve in France until 1918. His military record suggests that he was a colourful character.

In February 1916 he was deprived of 21 days pay for not complying with an order, and a further 6 in March for “Riding on a loaded wagon contrary to orders”; further offences included “absence from work”; “obtaining a free (?) on false pretences”. In 1917 he was reprimanded for “Conduct to the prejudice of good order of military discipline”. It may have been for this reason that he was compulsorily transferred to the 17th Battalion of the 3rd Lancashire Fusiliers in 1917 – i.e. sent to the front. In January 1918 he was being treated for gonorrhoea in the Scottish General Hospital. In April of the same year he returned to the UK on a hospital ship after being the victim of gas poisoning, and was
treated for this and then for influenza in Glasgow. He must have been amongst the earliest recorded cases of the disease in Britain, which apparently spread from Glasgow at the time William was being treated. It went on to become an epidemic that killed 220,000 in Britain and 70m people worldwide.

By the summer of 1918 he was back to his old ways, receiving further punishments for being “absent whilst on active duty”, from 20th July until 6th August; further offences are listed right up until 29th October, just two weeks before the Armistice. In January 1919 he was back in hospital once more, and finally returned to the UK in February when he was demobbed.

HERBERT MALCOLM MACCALLUM (Born c.1874)
Herbert’s father John MacCallum (1831-1901) was a founder and the first Treasurer of St. Ninian’s; the census curiously describes his occupation as “Manager of Boy”; perhaps Herbert was a handful! Herbert, himself an Engineer’s apprentice, was nevertheless confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1891, when he was living at 44, Melville Street, Pollokshields. No certain military record for him survives; he would have been 40 at the outbreak of war.

ALEXANDER McCLELLAND (Born c.1894)
MUNGO M. McCLELLAND (Born c.1900)
STEPHEN Chalmers McCLELLAND (Born c.1896)
1901 finds the McClelland family in Alison Street, Crosshill. Mungo McClelland senior, in the census called ‘Mango’ is described somewhat mysteriously as a “Commercial Traveller Mashering”; his wife’s name was Janet. The three boys were all baptised in Dunoon, but confirmed at St. Ninian’s: Alexander in 1908, Stephen in 1912 and Mungo in 1915, by which time the family had moved a short distance to 69, Prince Edward Street. By the end of the war they were at 51, Waverley Gardens. Mungo’s medal roll shows that he enlisted in the Royal Scots Fusiliers (Reg. No: 53155); the name causing problems again, this time being listed as ‘Murgo’. He married Lillian Hewitt at St. Ninian’s in 1926. There is no certain record of Alexander’s time in the war, but a military record survives for Stephen. With the family’s seeming run of bad luck with scribal errors continuing, it describes him as being born in ‘Dundon’ rather than Dunoon. In 1913 he was a 17-year old apprentice joiner, and enlisted in the 3rd Highland Brigade, which became part of the British Expeditionary Force in France. He was in the ammunition column. The rank of “trumpeter” is perhaps evidence of an early manifestation of musical talent at St. Ninian’s. In July 1918, after being admitted to hospital and declared “unfit for further service at the front”, he was compulsorily transferred to the Royal Field Artillery, Labour Corps, as a driver at ‘Base Camp’. He remained a driver until at least 1922.

ALEXANDER McDONALD (Born 1898?)
Several Alexander McDonalds lived in the vicinity of St. Ninian’s; the closest was an Analytical Chemist at 60, McCulloch Street, Pollokshields, whose father’s name was Ninian, and who served in France with the King’s Own Scottish Borderer’s. In March 1916 he was docked a fortnight’s pay for “leaving a working party without permission”. He ended the war in hospital with Scarlet Fever.

ALEXANDER McINTYRE
DUNCAN McINTYRE
JOHN WILLIAM McINTYRE
JOSEPH PRESCOTT McINTYRE
ROBERT EDEN McINTYRE

Unfortunately we have not been able to establish any concrete information about the McIntyres; it is a very common name, and there are several census entries that include some of the names, but none which include all. There may have been more than one McIntyre family at St. Ninian’s.

LEWIS McLEOD (Born c.1898?)
Lewis McLeod was married at St. Ninian’s in 1924, and lived at 21, Maxwell Road, round the corner from the church. He may have been the Lewis McLeod recorded in the 1901 census at 4,Wellcroft Place (in Gorbals), son of Julia & James (a lamplighter).

ANDREW McMURRAY (Born c.1880?)
Andrew McMurray was very possibly the one listed in the 1901 census as a lodger at 73, Kenmure Street. He was a Chemist Assistant and was born at Kelton, Kirkcudbrightshire.

GEORGE MALCOLM
There are several George Malcolms in the 1901 census; the most likely ones both lived in Gorbals, one the son of a goldbeater in 182, Waddell Street, the other the son of a Plumber in 299, Caledonia Road.

ANTHONY C. MARSHALL (Born c.1879?)
According to the 1901 census Anthony C. Marshall lived at the Crookfur Manse, Newton Mearns, and was the son of a wine merchant.

EDWARD MASON (Born c.1887?)
The 1901 census lists an Edward Mason as a shipping office clerk, living at 95, Bowman Street, Govanhill. There is a military record for another Edward Mason (b.1898), a musician who lived in 9 Abercorn street, Glasgow and served with the Welsh Guards.

(N.B. not listed alphabetically on memorial).
CYRIL HENRY MASKREY (Born c.1900)
According to the 1901 census the 10-month old Cyril H. Maskrey in lived at Edgbaston, Birmingham with his parents Edith and John, an outfitters manager. Perhaps his father moved north to work for Robert Ogg at the Department store Copland and Lye (see below)? At any rate, by 1915 Cyril was living at 63, Dundrennan Road, Langside, and was baptised at St. Ninian’s at the age of 14; even by the end of the War he would have been a very young soldier.

ANDREW BALFOUR PATRICK. MEIKLE (Born c.1900)
HARVIE STEWART MEIKLE (Born c.1896)
Andrew and Harvie Meikle were the sons of Andrew Meikle, a glass Merchant who married his wife Marion at St. Ninian’s in 1894. Meikle was also the name of the stained glass workshop that produced many of the windows at St. Ninian’s, so it is quite possible there is a connection here. The 1901 census lists the Meikle family at 46, Herriet Street Pollokshields. Andrew was confirmed at St. Ninian’s, by which time the family had moved to 31(?), Hazeldene Gardens, Muirend. Harvie could well be the H.S. Meikle whose medal roll records service with the Royal Army Medical Corps, the Queen’s Own Glasgow Yeomanry, and the Machine Gun Corps (Reg. Nos: 172, 110565, 3632).

THOMAS CHARLES MILLER (Born c.1892?)
The most likely candidate for Thomas Miller in the 1901 census is the son of a schoolmaster living at 3, Westminster Terrace, off St. Andrews Drive. There is another, living in Ibrox Terrace, who was a shipyard worker.

CHARLES EDWARD MISSEN (Born c.1899)
Charles Missen lived at 9, Craigmillar Road, Battlefield, and was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1914. He would have been old enough to join up in the latter stages of the War. There is a medal roll for a Charles Missen who served with the Royal Engineers.

ALLAN R. MITCHELL (Born c.1895)
ARTHUR Balfour John MITCHELL (1892-1926)
The Mitchell brothers were sons of John F. and Emily Mitchell, who lived at 217, Kilmarnock Road; their sisters Barbara and Charlotte were both confirmed at St. Ninian’s, as was Allan in 1911. Arthur probably served with the Seaforth Highlanders. A plaque in the church states that he died in Bombay in 1926.

GEORGE MORRISON (Born c.1884)
ROBERT MORRISON (Born c.1882)
George and Robert Morrison were both Mercantile Clerks and lived at 27, Smith Street (probably the one now called Inglefield Street in Govanhill). According to the census their father Robert was a ‘stationer warehouseman’.

GORDON BUCHANAN MURRAY (Born1895)
ERNEST MURRAY (c.1899-1918) X
The Murray’s father Arthur was born in England and by 1901 was a ‘Fancy Goods Merchant’ (& later a J.P.) living at 1, Millbrae Crescent (perhaps the house called ‘Dunmurry, Cathcart’). From 5th June 1915 Gordon Buchanan Murray served at Gallipoli with the 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers. Initially he was a 2nd Lieutenant and then became an acting Captain; as in the Western Front, there was a shortage of officers due to the heavy losses in the campaign in the Dardanelles. The Evening Times Roll of Honour lists Gordon as having been wounded in July 1915.

Ernest served in the 29th Battalion of the Machine Gun Corps in Belgium, where he died on September 4th 1918, a few weeks before the end of the War. His name is recorded along with more than 11,000 others on the Ploegsteert memorial to those killed in the surrounding area with no known grave.

REGINALD MURRAY (1894-1969)
Reginald Murray was the eldest of 10 children living in Eastleigh, Hampshire, with their parents Thomas (Tom) and Harriet Murray, both from the Southampton area. The family moved to Glasgow in 1901. They first stayed in Rutherglen then moved to Govanhill in 1904. Tom Murray worked as a Glasgow Corporation tram driver at the Albert Drive depot. The family attended St. Ninian’s Episcopal Church -Reggie’s confirmation was 29th March 1912 and his first communion was 14th April 1912.

Early in WW1, Reggie joined up, enlisting at Blythswood Square in Glasgow, successfully convincing the army that he could ride a motorbike, even though he did not own one. He did his basic training at Bisley in 1915, becoming a Corporal in the Machine Gun Corps (Motors) and was posted to France. By 1918, he was a Sergeant in the Motor Machine Gun Corps, posted to Mesopotamia (what is now modern Iraq) with the 8th LAMB (Light Armoured Motor Brigade) serving in Rolls Royce armoured cars. The unit was based in Baghdad but fought all over the country, driving out into the desert ahead of the main forces and providing reconnaissance and mobile support. This was very different to the style of fighting in the trenches of France and was more similar to the methods used by the army today, still fighting in many of the same locations that Reggie was fighting in. Having survived all this, Reggie was demobbed in February 1920 in London.

E.R. MURRELL TALBOT (Born c.1896)
The only record of an E.R. Murrell Talbot is in the English census of 1901, living in North Manchester. His name was Edwin, and he was the son of Walter & Mary. His sister Mary was a grocery assistant in a Tea Warehouse. The family may have moved up to Glasgow and as Anglicans attended St. Ninian’s.

WILLIAM HARVEY JOHN O’BRIEN (Born c. 1894)
William O’Brien is listed in the 1901 census as the son of William O’Brien (Secretary of the Army & Navy Pension Society) and Ann, 848, Pollokshaws Road. He originally came from London, and was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1908.

ARCHIBALD C.A. OGG (Born c. 1899)
CHARLES F. OGG (Born c. 1877)
GEORGE JOHN OGG (Born c.1896)
JAMES WALKER OGG (Born c. 1877)
ROBERT ALLAN OGG (Born c.1893)
WILLIAM KELLY CARMICHAEL OGG (c.1898-1916) X
Robert Allan Ogg was a warehouseman who became chairman of Copland & Lye, a well-known department store in Glasgow. He was also one of the founders of St. Ninian’s, and is commemorated in the main West Window. He married Helen Duff Kelly in 1858, and they lived at 71 Millbrae Road, Langside. They apparently had 11 children. The Oggs on the memorial include two of Robert Allan’s sons, Charles F. and James W. Ogg, who due to their age seemingly served with the Labour Corps; and four of his grandsons, George, William, Archibald, and Robert Allan Ogg. The latter two were sons of the elder Robert Allan’s son and namesake, and lived at 192, Nithsdale Road. So it is the third generation Robert Allan who is commemorated on the memorial; he became a Captain in the Highland Light Infantry. His brother Archibald probably served with the Gordon Highlanders.

George John and William K.C. Ogg lived at 22, Bruce Road, Pollokshields with their parents George John senior and his wife Flora, along with their baby sister Helen, a cook and a nurse. Their parents later moved to a house called “St. Ninian’s” in Prestwick; perhaps they were involved in the founding of St. Ninian’s church there, which began as an improvised hut for soldiers stationed nearby during the First World War. George John Junior served with the 9th Highland Light Infantry Battalion (Glasgow Highlanders), and latterly became an RAF Lieutenant.

William Ogg was in the 9th H.L.I. along with his brother, and became a 2nd Lieutenant. He died on the Somme on the 15th of July 1916 at the age of 18, and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, created after the war as a ‘Memorial to the Missing’ to remember those who died in the Somme sector before the 20th of March 1918 with no known grave.

JAMES ERNEST OLIVER (Born c.1881)
NINIAN B. OLIVER (Born c.1890)
The Oliver boys lived in the flat above St. Ninian’s (“Church House”) where their mother Jessie was the live-in caretaker. Their military records have not survived. Ninian Oliver appears to have been named after the church.

GEORGE ROBERT OWEN (Born c.1898)
JOHN WILLIAM OWEN (c. 1899-1918) X
In 1901 the Owens lived at 12, Buccleuch Street (near the new Glasgow School of Art, then under construction). Their parents were Margaret and George William Owen, a Manager in the spirit Trade. George Robert was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1915, by which time the family had moved to 11, Regent Park Terrace, Strathbungo (this may be the residence called “Clennard”, High Shawlands in the CWGC records). He seems to have served with the Queen’s Own Regiment, the Glasgow Yeomanry.

John’s birthplace was Pollokshaws. He was killed just three weeks before the end of the War, and was buried at Duhallow A. D. S. Cemetery, Ypres. He is commemorated in a poignant inscription on the Sedilia (Priest’s chair) to the right of the altar at St. Ninian’s:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
JOHN W. OWEN 9TH BATTALLION ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSILIERS
DIED OF WOUNDS RECEIVED IN ACTION 17TH OCTOBER 1918
AGED 19 YEARS A CHOIR BOY OF THIS CHURCH
GIFTED BY HIS PARENTS

CYRIL PALMER (Born c.1891)
Frederick Palmer MemorialFREDERICK CHARLES PALMER (1888-1917) X
Originally from Bath, Cyril and Frederick Palmer were the sons of Mary and Frederick Palmer (a Tailor), and in 1901 lived at 103, Minard Road. They later moved to 51, Inglefield Street, Govanhill (also the address of the Ireland family, above). Cyril married Agnes Ferlie Vynne at St. Ninian’s in 1927.

Frederick was confirmed in 1906. During the war he served with the Army Service Corps in the 686th Mechanical Transport Company, attached to the 4th Australian Depot Supply Column. He died on 21st October 1917, and was buried at Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Belgium. A commemorative plaque at St. Ninian’s reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN LOVING REMEBRANCE OF
FREDERICK CHARLES PALMER
BORN AT BATH 4TH OCT 1888
FELL IN ACTION AT YPRES
21ST OCT 1917

“FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT”

FRED PHILSON (Born c.1890)
SAMUEL R.C. PHILSON (Born c.1884)
In 1901 the Philson brothers were living at 11, Carfin Street, off Cathcart Road, with their mother Elenore; no father is listed in the census. By 1908 the family had moved to 109, Langside Road. Samuel was a ship chandler (a dealer in equipment and supplies for ships). His partial military record shows that he signed up in the Territorial Army some years before the War, as a bearer boy in the Highland Light Infantry. Fred probably served with the Scottish Rifles.

THOMAS F. PIPER (Born c.1884)
Thomas Piper, a Railway Brakesman, was married at St. Ninian’s in 1908, aged 24, and lived at Cramond Street (off Polmadie Road.) Any one of a number of Medal Rolls with the name Thomas F. Piper might be that of the one on the memorial.

WILLIAM PROCTOR (Born c.1884?)
There is a Military Pension record for William Proctor, born in about 1884, who lived at 78, Cornwall Street (off Paisley Road West), and who served in Egypt with the Highland Light Infantry (Reg. No. 7137). The census records another William Proctor, born in c.1894 living at 1, Polmadie Street in 1901. We cannot be sure if either was the one from St. Ninian’s.

COLIN DOUGLAS RICHARDS (Born c.1899?)
CYRIL GLADSTONE RICHARDS (Born c.1896?)
The only Cyril Richards in Scotland in the 1901 census was born in Cambuslang, the son of an English Teacher, Thomas Richards, then living in Helensburgh (57, East Clyde Street). He has an older brother called Douglas-perhaps Colin was known by his middle name?
There are, however, Medal Rolls showing both brothers living at 415, Shields Road, Pollokshields by the end of the War. Colin Douglas served as a Captain in France with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders from 9th July 1915 (with the 11th then 3rd Battalions). Cyril, whose middle name no doubt commemorates the great Liberal Prime Minister, was also in France, a 2nd Lieutenant with the 2nd Royal Scots from 15th May 1917.

THEOPHILUS RICHARDSON (Born c.1896)
Theophilus Richardson was one of 8 children of William (an English bootmaker) & Margaret recorded in 1901 living at 51, Westmoreland Street, Crosshill. St. Ninian’s confirmation records show Emily Richardson (aged 18) & Alice Mary Richardson (aged
35) being confirmed in 1910.
A Theophilus Richardson served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Regimental number: 31930). Given the unusual name this could be the one from St. Ninian’s but it raises the question why he would be serving in a Welsh Regiment.

J. LESLIE RITTER
There is no census listing or Military Record for J. Leslie Ritter; all the Ritters listed are of German origin; the only one in Glasgow is a violin teacher in Partick, Camillo Ritter aged 25 in 1901; we can only speculate as to whether he was related to Leslie. Having a German surname must have made life difficult for Leslie and his family during the War.

WESTELL B. ROBINSON (Born c.1892?)
There is a ‘Wiltell B. Robinson’ listed in the 1901 census, which, judging from the frequency of errors in the records could easily be Westell. He was born in around 1892 and was the son of an English accountant. Intriguingly, a Westell Robinson born in that year was recorded as having travelled from Montréal, Canada on 15 October 1932, arriving in Glasgow on the Donaldson liner Letitia; and his address is 721, Shields Road. The proximity to St. Ninian’s and the coincidence of the birth year make it quite likely that both listings refer to the Westell B. Robinson on the memorial.

JAMES RONALD (Born c.1896?)
The 1901 census lists a James Ronald, son of a “commission agent for stuffs & hosiery”, living at 230, Kenmure Street, very close to St. Ninian’s. There are many Medal Rolls for the name James Ronald.

DAVID ROSS X
David Ross was another member of St. Ninian’s congregation who did not return from his military service during the First World War. He very likely one of the four David Ross’s from Glasgow listed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission; but we have no way of knowing for certain which one he was.

FREDERICK JAMES SCOTT 1901 (Born c.1897)
JOHN SCOTT (Born c.1882)
WALTER SCOTT (Born c.1899)
Frederick J. Scott lived with his brother Walter at 235, Church Street, Maryhill. Frederick was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1914 aged 17, by which time he resided at 3, Overdale Gardens, Battlefield. Their father Frederick was a weighing machine inspector. John Scott was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1912 at the age of 30, but he is not listed with the other two Scotts so he may not be a relation. He was baptised at Langholme, Dumfries & Galloway. No military record survives for any of the Scotts.

CYRIL SHAW
LEONARD V. SHAW
WILLIAM WRIGHT SHAW
(Born c.1897)
William was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1912; what seems to be his medal roll shows that he was a Private with the Scots Guards, serving in the Balkans (i.e. Gallipoli) from 1915. It lists his address as 70, Albert Road Shrewsbury. Unfortunately there are no certain references for Leonard or Cyril Shaw.

ERIC JAMES SHEARER (Born 1892)
JOHNSTONE EVELYN SHEARER (Born c.1891)
1891 finds the Shearer family living at 6, Camphill Avenue, Shawlands, but the boys were both born in India. Agnes A.M. Shearer was the mother; the father is not shown on the census; perhaps he was still in India at this time. Agnes was confirmed at St. Ninian’s along with a Jonothan Shearer in 1912: this may well be her husband. The boys’ grandfather Johnston was a photographer.
Eric’s Medal Roll confirms that he maintained the Indian connection, becoming a Captain in the Indian Cavalry. He was clearly a high flier: by 1937 he was a Company Director, and gained his Flying Certificate, at Brooklands Flying Club in a De Havilland Gipsy Moth biplane. This confirms that he was born at Jullundur, India on 23rd November 1892. There are also travel records showing him going frequently across to the USA.
Johnstone’s Medal Roll shows that he too enlisted in an Indian regiment, as a Captain in the 1/26th Punjabis Regiment.

ROBERT F. STAPLETON (Born c.1894?)
In the 1901 census there is a Robert F. Stapleton listed at 38, Pollokshaws Road, the son of Alfred (a mechanical engineer) & Elizabeth. No military record can be traced.

TOM STEAD (Born c. 1876?)
The only Tom Stead listed in the1901 census is a bookkeeper, who lived near to St. Ninian’s at 256, Calder Street. He had six sisters, and was the son of Thomas (a brassfounder) & Martha, who were both from Northern Ireland. Tom would have been about 39 at the outbreak of War, just young enough to fight, though some older troops served turns of duty in the Service Corps or the Labour Corps

ALEXANDER STEEL (Born c.1894)
NEIL STEEL (Born c.1894)
The 1901 census lists the Steel brothers at 544, Calder Street, with their father William, a Blacksmith. By 1913 Alexander was a baker, and married Isabella Cunningham at St. Ninian’s; the couple lived at 19, Govanhill Street. Perhaps he worked at the same bakery as Alexander Hunter (above), the foreman breadmaker who lived nearby at Annette Street.

Stanley Steven MemorialEDWIN STEVEN (Born c.1892)
STANLEY WATSON FERGUSON STEVEN (1896-1915) X
Edwin and Stanley were the sons of Grace W and Alex F. Steven, a “commission agent”, and lived at Camphill Avenue. There is a medal roll for an Edwin Steven who was a Sergeant with the Kings Own Scottish Borderers (Reg. No: 30779).

Before the War Stanley Steven worked for Geddes and Co., an oil merchant. He then served with the Highland Light Infantry, and then the Army Cyclist Corps, in the 52nd Lowland Division Cyclist Company. He died on 12th November 1915 in Lemnos Hospital in the Dardanelles, and was buried at Portianos Military Cemetery in Greece. He was 19 at the time of his death, by which time his parents were living at 43, Queen Square.

DOUGLAS RAE STIRLING-STUART
JAMES S. STIRLING-STUART (1891-1914) X
Douglas and James Stirling-Stuart were the sons of William Crawfurd Stirling-Stuart (1854-1938) the last Laird of Castlemilk, and also a solicitor and Doctor of Law. The family home was Castlemilk House, a manor house demolished in 1969.

On 22nd September 1915 Douglas enlisted as a Lieutenant, then becoming a Captain with the 2nd Dragoons, Royal Scots Greys, the last Scottish cavalry regiment; by this time his address was in England, at Eastington House, a Manor House in Cirencester. Later in life he had a daughter, Valerie, and lived at Cowbridge Lodge, Malmesbury, Wiltshire.

James Stirling-Stuart fought with the 1st Battalion Scots Guards, which left England in August 1914 as part of the original British Expeditionary Force, and took part in the desperate defensive battles of the first months of the war. James died after leading an attack on a German machine gun position at the First Battle of Ypres on 9th November 1914. He was 23 years old. His medal roll notes that his father applied for the 1914 Star “for the services rendered by his son, the late James Stirling-Stuart”. His body was never found; his name is recorded at Ypres on the Menin Gate Memorial, and commemorated in a stained glass window in Carmunnock Church, where the Stirling-Stuart family has a vault. His father also paid for the War Memorial in the village. The list of the dead is headed by James, and the memorial incorporates a metal horse’s feeding bowl, reflecting his love of horses.

WILFRED P. STRONG (Born c.1877?)
There is a Medal Roll for a Wilfred Strong in the Army Service Corps (Reg. No. M2/115673), and another for a W. P. Strong in the Military Foot Police (P7893), but we cannot be certain which, if either, was the one from St. Ninian’s. He may have been the W. Parnall Strong listed in the phone records living locally at 8, Niddrie Square from 1940-49.

ALFRED SURTEES (Born c.1894)
FRED MCQUEEN SURTEES (Born c.1892)
WILLIAM SURTEES (c.1890-1918) X
Alfred, Fred and William were the sons of William and Alice Surtees of 289, Allison Street; they later moved to 11, Kingsley Avenue, Crosshill.

From May 1915 Alfred served in France, becoming a Lieutenant in the 1st Dragoons, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (Reg. No: GS/3722).
Fred was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1909, and fought with the 1st Dragoons, Highland Light Infantry (Reg. No. GS/3723), and like Alfred became a Lieutenant.

William Surtees was confirmed in 1908 when he was 16; he initially joined the 2nd/6th Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and was then transferred to the Labour Corps. He died on 13th April, 1918 and was buried at Potijze Chateau lawn cemetery. The cemetery is located to the north-east of the town of Ieper (Ypres) in Belgium. Potijze was within the Allied lines during practically the whole of the First Word War and subject to incessant shellfire. Potijze Chateau Lawn Cemetery was used from May to December 1915, July 1917 and October 1918.

JOHN TENNANT
Unfortunately without any other information John Tennant has too common a name to be able to identify him with any one individual.

ARCHIE MAURICE THOMSON (Born c.1899?)
ROBERT THOMSON
Archie Thomson was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1906; he may well be the Archibald Thomson in the 1901 census, son of coal merchant, living at 39, St. Andrew’s Road in Pollokshields. A medal roll for an Archie M. Thomson shows him serving in Egypt with the Argyll & Southern Highlanders from 1915-19.

There are no records whatsoever for Robert Thomson; an Emma Thomson is recorded in a memorial plaque St. Ninian’s.

CHARLES H. TUCKER (Born c.1882) X
The Tucker family appears to have come originally from Southbourn in Hampshire, and by 1897 were living at a house called ‘Davos’ in Pollokshaws; by 1901 they had moved to 64, Albert Drive, where Charles’ father Henry is listed as an ‘aerated water manufacturer’. Charles himself was an Insurance Clerk. By the time of the First World War, he was living in Leeds, and had married Rosa Isabel Tucker. He joined The Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment), becoming an Acting Corporal in the 9th (service) Battalion. He died on 28th December 1916 whilst serving in the Somme, and was buried in Hamel Cemetery, 4 miles north of the town of Albert.

George Bruce Walker MemorialGEORGE ROBERT BRUCE WALKER (1893-1919) X
George Walker was the son of George J. Walker (a chartered accountant) and his wife Helen, who lived at a house called “Rochdand” in Cathcart. He was baptised and confirmed at St. Ninian’s. At the time of George’s death in 1919 his parents had moved, presumably to spend their retirement, to a house called “Elmtree”, in Helensburgh.

George served in ‘D’ company in the 17th H.L.I., and then in the Royal Flying Corps. From his headstone we know that he was involved in a flying accident in 1917, and died of his injuries over two years later. It bears with some poignancy the motto of the R.F.C., which by then was the R.A.F.: “Per Ardua ad Astra”: ‘Through struggle to the stars’. He was buried in Cathcart cemetery, the only one of St. Ninian’s First World War dead to have been laid to rest in his homeland. George’s father died in 1929, and his mother died on Christmas day 1935. His sister Eleanor outlived her brother by 57 years.

DAVID WALKER
JAMES ROLLO WALKER

George Walker’s headstone describes him as an only son, so James and David Walker cannot be his brothers, though they may have been related. We have no certain information about them, though they could be the sons of David Walker, living at Crow Road, and intriguingly described in the 1901 census as a ‘Colour Spenters Fraxeller’. There may also be a family connection to the Ogg family if the name James Walker Ogg is anything to go by (see above). Intriguingly the Evening Times lists a James Walker who played for Queen’s Park Football Club who was wounded in May 1915.

JAMES J. WALTON (Born c.1876)
James Walton was the son of Elizabeth & James Walton, a wholesale stationer; he was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1896, when the family lived at “Oakwood”, Langside. His father was one of the founders of St. Ninian’s, and is commemorated in a window at St. Ninian’s. There is a medal roll for a James Walton who served with the Royal Garrison Artillery (Reg. no. 65144).

CHARLES W. WATT (Born c.1899)
Charles was the son of Sarah E. and George D. Watt, who lived at 29, Dixon Avenue, Crosshill. George is described in the census as an ‘Ireland Revenue Officer’, though one suspects that this should be ‘Inland Revenue’. His sister Nora was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1916. There are several medal rolls for a Charles W. Watt, the most likely being the one serving with the 14th (London) Regiment, Gordon Highlanders (Reg. No: 514962, 26831)

GEORGE WESTON (Born c.1878)
WILLIAM GRANT WESTON (Born c.1883)
George Weston was a Joiner’s apprentice, the son of Thomas Weston, a stable foreman. The family lived at 370, Pollokshaws Road; no mother is listed in the 1901 census. George was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1894.
George’s brother William was a Jeweller’s apprentice, confirmed in 1902 at the age of 19. During the First World War he served with the Royal Artillery. He is the father of Dorothy Weston in the present congregation.

HAROLD WHEATE (Born c.1895?)
In 1901 there were no Harold Wheates in Scotland, but the English census shows one at 17, Garrick Street, Liverpool. There is no mention of a father; Harold’s mother Elizabeth and her children live with her mother Mary Morris. Perhaps the family moved north after this time-or perhaps Harold came up on his own. If he ended up on Glasgow’s South side he would have joined the significant number of English people who attended St. Ninian’s.

ALBERT HENRY WILLIAMS (Born c.1898)
JOHN WALTER WILLIAMS (Born c.1899)
The Williams brothers were from Dublin; they were both confirmed at St. Ninian’s, Albert in 1914 and John the following year. They lived at 33, Seymour Street, Crossmyloof (now Waverley Street). A Sarah Williams is recorded at ‘The Limes’, Cathcart and Owen and Florence Williams at 27, Brownlie Street. No certain Military Records or Medal Rolls can be traced for either brother

DAVID WILSON
A Marjorie Wilson, quite probably David’s sister, was confirmed at St. Ninian’s in 1909 at the age of 14. There is no Wilson family with children called David and Marjorie in Glasgow in the Scotland census for 1901. The Wilson family may have moved up from England after this time.

******

In the South aisle of St. Ninian’s there is a small memorial plaque dedicated to a Gerald Lambert. Another inscription states that this was removed from the chapel at St. Margaret’s, Newport Pagnell, by request of his aunt, Marion Stirling Stuart, a relation of James and Douglas Stirling Stuart (above). It evokes the feelings of personal loss and heartache that must have been felt by all the loved ones of those who lost their lives in the First World War, and the need to commemorate them when the vast majority were either buried in a foreign land or never found:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF MY GERALD,
WHO DIED OF WOUNDS IN THE GREAT WAR
ON 28TH MARCH 1916, AGED 30.
THIS SMALL MEMORIAL OF A GREAT LOVE
IS DEDICATED BY
MARION STIRLING STUART,
TO WHOM FOR ALL HIS SHORT EARTHLY LIFE
HE WAS AN UNFAILING JOY.
MIZPAH.

*
‘And Mizpah; for he said, The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.’
(Genesis 31:49)

*